I decided to interview my husband Dean. He is very artistic and handy. He loves to paint, remodel our house and he also works with wood. Ever since I have known Dean he has worked with wood. Not only is he creative and talented, but with his art background he has made some beautiful things.
Question 1
What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
Answer: Walnut. The wood grain pattern ,the slight variation of the colors, and the "burl". (the burl would be the patterns and circles that the wood has in it)
Question 2
Is this a hobby that anyone can pick up?
Answer: Yes
Question 3
Why are you so good at woodworking?
Answer: My father, he taught me but better than that, he let me use all of his tools and let me make mistakes. This brought out a competitive side in me and I wanted to be just as good or even better than he was.
Question 4
What advice would you give to someone who wants to try their hand at woodworking?
Answer: Learn safety rules and don't be afraid of failure.
Question 5
What is the one piece you have made that you are most proud of?
Answer: A walnut jewelery box.
The jewelery box was made for me as a Christmas present. I still use it and treasure it as one of my most precious gifts. There are many gifts given over the years, but really most of my favorite gifts from Dean have been ones that he has made with his hands. There is something about knowing that he put the time, love and hard work into something so plain as a piece of wood and turned it into a beautiful treasure for me. A one of a kind masterpiece.
Mickie, your interview with Dean is very good. You asked some great question for someone who has a hobby. I liked Deans advice to remember safety rules. We often times forget about saftey when we are doing hobbies at home. This is a good reminder for me when I start on projects for the house.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very good interview, and the answers were very good as well. It sounds like he really enjoys woodworking.
ReplyDelete