Saturday, March 19, 2011

6th Blog Assignment

In the poems "Workday" and " Did I Miss Anything?" we are to figure out what the theme of each poem is and then three elements/ poetic devices used in the poems.
"Workday": I think that the theme is how she doesn't really fit into either world. She is a worker, yet she also goes to school. An American Indian, yet an educated one.  The 3 elements are Imagery: 'the broken knees with pins in them' Analogy: plays out throughout the whole poem. By comparing the work life to the student life. Objective Description: "walking on the avenue the beuatiful feet, the perfect legs."

In "Did I Miss Anything" the theme is how one choice that you make can lead to a really wrong path or a great outcome. By choosing to miss/skip a class you may not miss anything, but it also might just be that class that holds the key to all the answers. It's your choice, do you want to risk it?
Irony: "Nothing-When we realized you weren't here we sat withour hands folded on our desks in silence, for the full two hours.
Symbolism- "Nothing- When you are not present how could something significant occur?"
Structure- The Nothing paragraph's are to the left margin no indentations. The While paragraphs are indented . This seems to highlight both of the different paragraphs and makes you notice there is a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you did a great job too Mickie! In the poem "Workday" I had a hard time deciding on a theme because I saw a few different messages that could be possible ones. I think it's neat how we all read the same thing and get different meanings out of the them.

    ReplyDelete