Saturday, February 5, 2011

Life Without My Grandma

Yesterday was my grandma's birthday. Oh how I wish she were still here with me. Next month she will be gone for 10 years. I can't believe it's been that long, yet how my world has changed since she left us. When I was a baby a tradition started in my family. My grandma would make lunch for all of us every Saturday. I grew up never knowing that most families didn't do this. Being an only child, it was pure enjoyment for me to be able to gather with all my cousins and family. Over the years it varied a bit, but mostly it was the same year after year. We would arrive around noon, have a wonderful meal and us kids would play and then we would get a baggie and collect some candy to take with us for the week. My grandma was the best at having candy around. She always had every one's favorite and went out of her way to make pies, cookies and the best food. As time went on, less and less of my cousins came, but the main ones returned week after week. My grandma went out of her way to make sure that every one's favorites were there. As she aged and it got harder for her to shop, we all took turns taking her to the store and eventually we just went for her. I lived the closest to her and often would arrive early to help her prepare the meal. When I lived out of town Saturday was my least favorite day. Oh how I missed sitting around her table. Now, she is gone and I have that table, yet the family isn't the same. We aren't as close and even though my cousin owns her house now, it's not the same. Time has moved on and the main stable of our family isn't here to keep all the pieces together. Although it is sad to think about her being gone, I am so happy that I had this growing up and that my son was able to experience it too. It really was a unique and fun part of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun as a child. That is a cool idea that your family would join each Saturday at your grandmother's house. It is nice to keep in touch with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you miss your Grandma. I wish growing up that we had lived closer to my grandmother. I got to spend part of my summers with her. She always planned adventures for us to go on, like we visited the wagon train, Gettysburg Battle Fields, and Philadelphia. The hardest part when someone passes is that you can not call them on the phone and share things with them. All the things you have shared with me about your Grandma, she sounds like she was very cool.

    ReplyDelete