My son is my only child. I call him my miracle. I was never able to have any more children. Recently he decided to join the Army. I guess I always knew he would. He has talked about it since he was a kid. My husband was in the Army and I think he has always wanted to follow that path. While I pushed him to go to college, it just wasn't the right fit for him at the time. He had a very good job and had moved up in the company nicely. Still the yearn for the Army kept calling him.
As a mom this is probably one of the hardest things I have had to deal with. I am so pissed that he joined the Army, only because we are at war and I just keep thinking, "what are you thinking joining now!". Yet, another part of me is so proud of him. As a man he has grown into someone I not only respect, but greatly admire. I don't think that I would have the guts to join the military during this unsettled time. To say that I am proud of him, would be an understatement. The pride within me beams. In today's society many young adults not only aren't responsible, but would never give up the freedoms and luxuries to serve their country. While this separation is hard, I keep my chin up and know that he is doing something that he loves and that if it were not for all of our brave soldiers I and everyone else would not enjoy the freedoms we have. I am not looking forward to his deployment to Afghanistan, but I know I just have to keep the faith and hope for the best. I love you "slick"......themommy :0)
p.s. Happy Birthday

Mickie, you should be proud of your son! You have done a great job raising him. He is one of the finest young man out there serving our country. Yes, keep your faith and remember you can call me anytime.
ReplyDelete