Friday, January 21, 2011

How cold is cold?

My son is stationed in Alaska. The other day he called home and was telling me that it was -55. That got me to thinking, how cold is cold? For some reason, although having been born and raised in Ohio and having lived here for most of my life, I can't wrap my brain around -55. At what point does it just not feel any colder? He tells me that after -32 or so it really doesn't feel colder. You body just feels slow and sluggish. It is really beautiful there, but with the lack of sunshine and temperatures like this, it's know wonder Alaska has the highest suicide rate in the world!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is very cold!! I'm not sure I could handle all of that cold weather. I love the warm weather too much to want to move somewhere like Alaska.

    For this being your first writing, I think it is very well written. I enjoyed reading about your son and his Alaskan life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is freezing! That is sad though, I wouldn't want to be there if you have to be in the cold a lot. I didn't know that about Alaska.
    Thanks for sharing, I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete